Infidel "Erhman" for the sake of Allah: Stop Contradicting Muslims

Professor Bart Erhman recently made a critique of a Roman Catholic who either hadn't read Erhman's book, or failed to understand it, but thankfully because of this critique Erhman elaborates on his own views.

Fact 1: Erhman does not deny the Resurrection of Jesus:

"I took great care in my book precisely not to say what he accuses me of saying. Nowhere do I say that Jesus’ resurrection was invented by his hallucinating disciples. In fact I spent considerable length arguing that the visions of Jesus would be seen by his modern-day followers as appearances of Jesus – that is, as veridical visions – and by non-believers as non-veridical hallucinations. But I pointedly did not take a stand on the issue in the book. My view is that the disciples saw visions, and each of us can decide whether they really saw Jesus or simply thought they did."

Fact 2: Erhman from his book does not conclude Jesus is therefore not God 

"I also do not take a stand on the central theological question of whether Jesus really was God or not." (I will make a future post about this)

Fact 3: You can accept every proposition of Erhman's book and still be a Trinitarian Christian:

"My view is that my book should have ZERO impact on intelligent, informed, Christian belief. (And I have evidence: I have intelligent Christian friends who are scholars of early Christianity who agree with almost all of my analysis.)"
For Erhman's assessment of a Muslim who claims Judaism finds the idea of a divine-Messiah anathema: click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment