Mark 10:18, Does Jesus deny being absolutely good? Part 1

My thesis is Jesus does not say he was not good but he poses a question. He is asking a question in order to make the young man realize the implications of his confession. In other words, if only God is good and you think I am God then that would mean you must think of me as you would think of God. Then you would need to give up everything and follow me.

And something the man wasn't willing to do, Jesus was showing him that he didn't believe he was absolutely good. He was exposing the rich man's heart basically pointing out he doesn't really believe what he was saying about Jesus, because if he did believe that Jesus was good he would give up everything for Jesus.

 In part 2 to I will show why contextually from the very chapter of Mark comports with my thesis.

No comments:

Post a Comment